5 Quotes to help us get to know Martin Luther better
Caroline Jones | November 01, 2017
What is the best way to get to know someone? You can ask the right kind of questions. You can spend one-on-one time with the person. You can participate in their favorite hobby.
You can also look at what they value.
In honor of the 500th Anniversary of the Protestant Reformation, let’s get to know the man behind it all: Martin Luther. Since it would be difficult to ask Luther questions, spend time with him, or participate in his favorite hobbies, let’s take a look at what he valued in an attempt to get to know him a little better.
Here are 5 quotes straight from the mouth of Luther that show us what he valued most:
1. “To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.”
2. “Whatever your heart clings to and confides in, that is really your God.”
3. “It is thus very true that we shall find consolation only through the Scriptures, which in the days of evil call us to the contemplation of our blessings, either present or to come.”
4. “I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer.”
5. “Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also; The body they may kill: God’s truth abideth still, His kingdom is forever.”
Prayer. The Lord. Scripture. The Kingdom. These were the items Luther valued in life. If we were to sit down with him, I feel confident these values would rule the conversation.
Sola Scriptura. Sola Fide. Sola Gratia. Solus Christus. Soli Deo Gloria.